Did you know about Hungary?
World Heritage Sites
- Budapest, including the Banks of the Danube, the Buda Castle Quarter and Andrássy Avenue
- Early Christian Necropolis of Pécs (Sopianae)
- Fertö / Neusiedlersee Cultural Landscape
- Hortobágy National Park - the Puszta
- Millenary Benedictine Abbey of Pannonhalma and its Natural Environment
- Old Village of Hollókő and its Surroundings
- Tokaj Wine Region Historic Cultural Landscape
- Pálinka: Hungarian spirit or brandy distilled mainly from fruits.
- Gyulai és Csabai kolbász: Special sausages fashioned in Gyula and Békéscsaba, two cities of South-East Hungary.
- Tokaji aszú:sweet white wine made partly of noble “roted” grapes. Louis XV of France called it “Wine of Kings, Kings of Wines”.
- Traditional goose dishes
- Paprika from Kalocsa
- Pick winter salami
- Sheep stew from Karcag
- Gundel Restaurant
- “Szóda” water, special Hungarian extra sparkling water
- Mohácsi busójárás: Folk festival where costumed so called “busó”-s to scare away Winter.
- Matyó style folk art
- Mounted archery
- Halasi style lace
- Folk art from Kalocsa
- Béres drops- special preparation for support of immune system
- Kürt data saving method for computers
- Budapest Gypsy Symphony Orchestra
- Ferenc Puskas’ oeuvre
- Hungarian Operetta
- Zsolnay and Herendi porcelain
Our favourite Hungarian idioms and sayings
- Hit the iron as long as it is hot, meaning that you should act promptly without hesitation when a situation is open for it.
- Good job requires time but bad job requires even more time
- Slow water wash over shore, and another one with similar meaning: When you walk slower you will reach further!
- Lot of geese wins over one pig.
- Liars are caught even faster than a limping dog.
- Never will be bacon from dog, meaning that no one can change their habits totally.
- Lot of good people fit sin small place.
- Patience yield rose.
- Who loves flowers cannot be evil.
- We can find out who is a real friend only in trouble.
- The only one, who makes no mistake, is who does nothing at all.
- Every miracle lasts only for 3 days.
- The apple does not fall far from its tree, meaning that children are similar to their parents.
- We should give fishnet to starving people instead of fish.
- There is no rose without thorn. Meaning the same as every bean has its black.
- Even its own mother does not understand mute child’s words.