Green escapes in Hungary
Tired of all the churches and historic buildings? Want to have a green escape from the city? Prefer a picnic on the grass instead of a restaurant?
Either your group needs a complete hiking weekend, or just a day out away from the hustle and bustle of the city, we have the right solution for you.
Fortunately we have colleagues, who are experts in hiking and they have collected quite a few options for hiker groups.
This area is quite close to Budapest, and both the left and right side of the river offers great hiking possibilities. No matter which side you choose: the lesser-visited hills of Börzsöny or the well-known Pilis; you will surely explore magnificient scenery and breathtaking vistas.
In case you need only a day trip from Budapest, these areas are perfect choice for a Budapest-based group.
Itinerary #1 – Pilis
- Day 1 – After a short sightseeing in Budapest, transfer to Visegrád. Overnight in a local hotel.
- Day 2 – Full-day hiking via the picturesque Rám Gorge to Dobogókő, including a visit of the remains of a Roman-style monastery.
- Day 3 – Exploring the most popular hiking path of the area, the Spartacus trail, offering breathtaking vistas over the Danube Bend.
- Day 4 – Easy hike to Szentendre, exploring a few waterfalls and nice picnic places on the way. Visit of the „village of art” before returning to your hotel.
- Day 5 – Visit of Esztergom and its majestic cathedral. Transfer to the airport.
Itinerary #2 – Börzsöny
- Day 1 – After a short sightseeing in Budapest, transfer to your hotel in the Börzsöny area.
- Day 2 – After visiting the cathedral and pilgrimage site of Márianosztra, spend your day hiking 3 hills of the Börzsöny Mountain in a day.
- Day 3 – After a train ride up to Királyrét, start your hiking up to the highest point of Börzsöny Mountain, the Csóványos.
- Day 4 – Last day of hiking: say goodbye to the Danube Bend from the Julianus Lookout Tower and explore the quaint village of Zebegény.
- Day 5 – Before heading to the airport, enjoy a guided tour of Vác, the baroque gem of the Danube Bend. Visit of the local museum to see the mummies found here.
Mátra & Bükk
Located app 2 hours ride from Budapest, the Mátra and Bükk Mountains are the highest mountains of Hungary offering great adventure to expert hikers. While enjoying the cool forest and crystal-clear water of the creeks, your itinerary includes the most important cultural sights of the area.
Due its location, all of these hiking destinations must be combined with accommodation in the area.
- Day 1 – Arrival to Mátra mountain, hiking up to Kékes, the highest peak of Hungary. Overnight in a hotel of the forest area.
- Day 2 – After exploring vista points, lookout towers, hidden ruins of medieval fortresses and castles, you can finish the day in Eger to taste the famous red wine of the region.
- Day 3 – A well-preserved Roman church from the 13th century, a 17-meter-tall waterfall and a cave are the highlights of the day. After the exhausting exploration of the Bükk National Park, finish your day in Lillafüred, by the picturesque Hamori-Lake, hidden between mountains.
- Day 4 – Easy trekking for the last day in Lilllafüred, exploring the garden of the castle-hotel, its waterfall and one of the caves of the area. Return to Budapest.